By His Grace

By His Grace
Restored

Monday, August 13, 2012

"The Local Church is the Hope of the World"



I was at a leadership conference this past week.  In case you don't recognize the title, those are the words of Bill Hybels.  An incredible man of God and the host of a Leadership Summit including speakers from both Christian and Non-Christian backgrounds.  I had the privilege of listening to leaders like Condoleeza Rice and many others speak on important topics going on around the world and locally. 

By the end of the first day, one of the speakers brought up the generation of leaders coming up behind us.  He said that one of the terms most frequently used to describe this generation of leaders is "entitled."  I can't argue with it.  It's true.  I see it all of the time.  But one of the women who came to this conference is a young woman about to begin her senior year of college—part of this younger generation of leaders.  She babysat for me quite a bit last year and often stayed late to chat with Jeff and I.  She's a sponge.  She takes in any new perspective she can get a grip on.  She seeks wisdom.  She asks questions.  She learns.  She's curious.  She's an incredible young woman.  Roxana.  It's a beautiful name.

Roxana rode with me and a friend, Melanie, back and forth both days to the leadership conference.  She did a lot of listening as Melanie and I discussed general things going on in our lives.  She's a sneaky listener.  

The last evening of the leadership conference I was driving the girls back home.  Melanie asked how I was doing and I shared how overwhelmed I have been feeling by the state of my house because I've just fallen so far behind.  We continued talking.  After a bit of time had passed, Roxana spoke up from the back.  "Erin, I'm really good at sweeping and swiffering and cleaning.  I'd love to help if I can."  Knowing she was going back home to Connecticut in a couple of days and college doesn’t start for a few more weeks, I told her, "thank you."  Assuming she meant when she came back to school in the fall. She said, "I'm around all day tomorrow and I have no plans, can I come tomorrow?"  

Uh…….really???????  She's here for three days and she's offering to spend one of them serving my needs. I surrendered.  I said yes.  I'd like to say that I said yes because I have many times wished people would take me up on the offer to help them when instead they declined.   But the truth is I really just needed help.  And the thought of someone else in the house helping me felt so invigorating and motivating.  It was the first time I felt like I might actually get back on my feet.  I told her what a blessing that would be and we set a time.

Two hours later I got a text from Roxy asking if her friend Jennifer (another college-aged girl who has babysat for us) could come help, too.  Jennifer started her first year of Law School yesterday--the day after she spent the day loving me.  She spent her last day of summer at my house organizing and cleaning getting me back on my feet.

 "The Local Church is the Hope of the World."  --Bill Hybles 



"The government can offer a lot of things, but it can not offer compassion."--Condoleeza Rice. 


It's true.  Compassion is people helping people.  People loving people.  These young girls from my church acting as servants prove that they are indeed an energetic generation that will rise up and take our place and blow us away when it comes to making a difference in the world through compassion.  They are the hope of the world.

I have been back into a routine for the first time since we got Lydia's diagnosis.  For the past three days, I've been doing laundry, making beds keeping things organized and it feels unbelievably invigorating.  I feel like I'm actually a functioning part of society.  Not that I wasn't doing anything before, but there was no routine.  There was no energy.  And now there is.  It makes all of the difference.

When this whole thing began I remember asking God in prayer, "How am I going to get through this waiting?"  The answer was immediate and clear as a bell.  "Serve."   I have been serving in different capacities but not in this very personal way that these girls did.  I have been moved to make a greater difference in the lives that my life touches.  I see God already opening doors and showing me how offering service and acts of kindness are truly the blessings that will get me through this season that can so easily be swallowed up by focusing on my own "stuff." I want to be apart of the local church--the hope of the world.  


Thanks, girls.  You are precious.

No comments: